CSI Belfast

CSI Las Vegas is great. Less so CSI Miami and CSI New York.

But “CSI” is nothing to do with Crime Scene Investigation in Belfast. Im not actually sure about what the initials stand for…probably Community Strategy for Integration or some such nonsense beloved of LetsGetlongerists and Conflict Resolutionists.

This is a function of Government in the hands of the Office of the Coalition Leaders Peter Robinson DUP and Martin McGuinness Sinn Fein. They have some kinda obligation to churn out a strategy to make Norn Iron more cohesive. It is not without irony that neither Robbo or Marty want a cohesive society. They owe their positions to a divided society. To be honest Im not that fussed on a cohesive society either.

So apparently there is a new CSI strategy published today. All lip service and box ticking of course. I expect a full analysis will appear on Slugger O’Toole ( they love that kinda thing). I couldnt be arsed even looking at it. And for GODS sake dont tell me whats in it.

But I notice on Facebook that there isa recommendation for cross community summer camps…which is of course minimalist. We cant have integrated education but we can have summer camps.

I actually agree with this. I think Donegal…the Glenties and Gaoth Dobhair would be excellent. Take the kids out of Belfast, Carrickfergus and Crossmaglen. They can engage in such activities as learning Gaelic Football, Hurling, Camogie, Ceili Dancing, Gaeilge language. There is actually a structure already in place. Its called the Gaeltacht. And as optional extras there is the opportunity to smoke cigarettes.

I hope summer camps are in July during marching season and our young rioters from two communities can be kept off the streets. Maybe form a cross community Wee Bastards group….derived from the warm glow of satisfaction we get from watching recreational rioting on TV News and we say things like “would you look at that wee bastard…he is no more than ten years old”

The Nazis herded German youth into summer camps. The LetsGetAlongerists have the same idea. Re-Education. Social Engineering. But like a lot of cross-community, letsgetalongerist crap, there is no doubt somebody might make a few quid out of it…or “job creation” as politicians call it.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I remember the good old days in the 1970s when Catholic and Protestant children were sent off to USA for a month by well meaning do-gooders. Back to the Future.

17 Responses to CSI Belfast

1. Send every fek’n kid to Asia, Africa or South America for 3 months at 16, t would be the best money ever invested. The realisation that EVERYTHING they believe is manufactured, the challenges and work ethic of those worse off than them and the ability of people to find satisfaction in their lives are invaluable lessons. We may get a better generation and certainly a better one than throwing a mythical switch will deliver.

2. factual says:

Interesting. Proposals include:

*One hundred shared summer schools/camps to bring Protestants and Catholics under one roof
    *A cross-community youth sports programme
    *A project to create four urban villages (Not sure what this means)
    *Work on 10 shared education campuses to begin
    *Department for Social Development Minister told to bring forward proposals on 10 shared housing neighbourhoods.

Mr McGuinness said “This is a very decisive step forward and very clear evidence of our ability to work together,”

The SDLP seem to be more negative. Their leader stated: “DUP and Sinn Fein had come in short of what was needed to build reconciliation and prosperity in Northern Ireland. Any initiative which addresses some of the symptoms of division in Northern Ireland is to be acknowledged but what we need from those of us in positions of leadership is a lot more than just a commitment to address the symptoms of our division. It is clear the DUP and Sinn Fein don’t have a strategy for a shared future. Today’s initiative includes much of what has already been agreed by parties.”

3. Political Tourist says:

Not unlike the exchanges of earlier times with West German teenagers arriving in France.
    I’m sure the East Germans went to Poland or Russia.
    And good old Glasgow Corporation sent PT to the outskirts of Salzburg circa 1972 by train.
    A nice train, it had windows.
    Unlike journeys through Europe 30 years before.

Would i like to spend the summer with members of the Protestant Boys Flute Band singing Koom Ba Ya.
    Eh, no thanks Martin.

4. sammymcnally says:

It is difficult to see this as anything other than a very long grant form that has to be filled in to get some more money from the Viceroy.

Herself up in Stormo and the Irish goverment should just announce an end to parading and faith schools – that would unify the 2 communities overnight.

• Hard to find any fault with that Sammy, especially stanza one.

Stanza 2, parading, yeah, make the OO a prescribed organisation and hey presto, problem sorted. Faith schools? A tricky one, I am for choice and what I think the big problem for Nats is that a lot are not for religious schooling but RC schools are a de facto or substitute for schooling with an Irish ethos or emphasis.

I have no problems with integrated education per se, I worry about any child of mine not having the chance to have it’s Irish culture recognised in schools. Hence why I always ask what does integrated education entail? I note that the likes of TV Mike and Robbo are all for integrated education all of a sudden, why? I look at their support and I contrast this with their opinions on the Irish language for instance and say to myself, they are not in favour of integrated education but for forcing a 1 sided interpretation of education with their values upon nationalist kids so no change there from say 40 years ago.

I even asked the guys at Integrated Education what there opinon was on Irish Medium schooling and the answer was simple; ‘Where there is parental demand for Irish Medium schools, that demand should be accommodated.’, unfortunately, our unionist neighbors don’t share their views on that one, I wonder why…

• You got it in a nutshell there FC.
        The very same people now converted to integrated education, Robinson and Nesbitt are the same people who are blocking an Irish Language Act.
        And the same people who want to spread unionism to Catholics.
        Obviously they see integrated education being a means of so doing.

• This is my problem FJH. I was having some handbags on twitter with someone who essentially said that kids go to non-integrated schools to learn fear. I asked a simple question: in what class was that taught because I must have been bunking that.

What did I get in response? Hysteria, whataboutery and straw men. I am for integrated education, I am for Irish medium education and I am for choice. I am not for enforcing a social experiment or for destroying great schools for others. As I have said on twitter, schools are normally fairly accommodating places, at least any I’ve ever been to, I was taught not to fear but to challenge assumptions, work hard and (if I’d paid attention in RE) to love one another and treat others how I’d like to be treated.

Essentially, my gripe is that some would destroy institutions that have contributed to the greater good for its ‘beliefs’ based education whilst pretending that they’re bringing a system of education that is valueless (nonsensical) and is inherently correct without really showing us the nuts and bolts. It all screams of jam tomorrow from letsgetalongersts who have been hijacked by political unionism IMHO

5. A quick listen to Johnathan Bell on Nolan is enough to highlight the nonsense

6. Our wee girl goes to an integrated school and as well as French and Spanish, she does Irish and all the kids have to do it until 3rd year. Now, when Robo and all talk about integrated education, I believe they mean “subsumed” education, which is an entirely different thing. Even what we commonly call the protestant sector, which is actually the state sector, s an indicator of the British cultured system unionists really mean.

The participaton of the DUP, UUP, TUV and PUP in the PROTESTANT Forum has made this policy a joke on Twitter. The time is far away when we can more to a genuine post struggle political situation. We’ve seen how ready loyalism is to resort to violence and how ready unionists are t support them.

• I think there is an element in the integrated sector which ” tries too hard”
      About 18 years ago our older son chose an Integrated School and we went along with it.
      He had been 18 months at a very small ( now closed) state school…48 pupils (my sons were two of just four Catholics).
      We did not “choose” the state school for any reason other than geography…we had to rent a house while this one was being built. We kept the boys at the school for a year after we moved into this house (two miles away) because we felt we owed it to the state school, especially as it was in danger of closing. As I have said…it is now closed.
      The attitude of other Protestant parents at meetings was interesting.
      Some…who looked like they would vote UUP…were very nice to us….went out of their way to be nice.
      Others….who looked like DUP types had that “saved” look about them and looked down their noses at us.
      There was one embarrassing moment when a school governor spoke at a school meeting. He was a very traditional UUP councillor and mad some comments in his speech which indicated that he was unawre that nationalists were in the room.
      The integrated school tried too hard.
      after about two years there was a special parents night, where three people from House of Sport attended…one was “general sport”, another was GAA and the other hockey all talking about the ethos of their sports.
      The idea was to get GAA into the school. Even though one of my sons played club GAA underage at the time….I spoke against GAA being played at the school.
      At that stage the ban on RUC ws still in force and I thought it inappropriate that GAA be played at a school where…presumably some pupils were from RUC families.

7. sammymcnally says:

FJH, fc,

I think there is an element of if ‘themmuns-are-in-favour-of-it-then-it-must-be-bad’ about osme of the arguements above. In principle we should agree (if proper i.e. non demoninational republicans) to abolsih faith schools – with that in the bag then work out how to implement it.

For me the old-hedge schools arguement no longer holds and the Catholic Church is extremely lucky to be allowed anywhere near involvement in schools(relying as it does on historical goodwill from the Plain People of Ireland).

The celibacy malarkey has presuambly attracted the wrong type of person and although there are many good eggs in the eclesesatical (?) basket the hierarchy/institution has proved itelsf unfit to be anywhere near being in charge of children and more suited (ie the hierarchy)to a stint in the clink for moving offending priests around.

As stated above, if the hunger strike memorial centre can accomdate both ‘traditions’ then so can the schools – I suspect that SF (although doing a goog job on gay marriage) are afraid of upsetting the vatican apple-cart.

This is embarssinlgy one in which themmuns have the better policies than ussuns and we should recognise that and change ussuns policy – otherwise we will be seeing many more Fenian Uncle Toms about the place.

• Apologies for the brief reply, but I’m on the iPad and off to work in a few minutes.

Sammy, I would ask you to read the posts again as you may be overlooking the fact that we’ve raised what is a legitimate point here and on SOT also where I believe your privileges were taken from you. The question is not about being against integrated education, it’s about what is integrated education and what is it that Mike and Robbo think is integrated education.

You will then see that the points concerning the Irish language and Irish culture are fair points and the crux of the matter, rather than your somewhat lazy analysis that we are wallowing in an element of knee jerking dislike of anything political unionism wants. It would suggest that our concerns are not real, thought out or based in reality and of course, you would be able to show that of course, right?

8. sammymcnally says:

fc,

We dont need ‘integrated’ education – we simply need state education. Do you agree with that in principle?

That is a ‘republican’ principle which appears to have

• Sammy,

I read the question on the iphone and I’ve had 12 hours to think about. That’s a really good question btw, kudos a chara.

I think it really depends, are you concerned with the end result or how it is achieved? I am not entirely convinced that having only state education will achieve genuinely integrated education as if you do this without broad support or in a manner where you run roughshod over a huge part of the electorate then you will ultimately shoot yourself in the foot.

I am actually for choice, mine being that I would send my kid to a bunscoil and then on to meanscoil to become a polyglot. It’s non-denominational education and teaches the values and cultural matters that I want my child(ren) to have instilled in them.

So in answer to your question, no, I would not necessarily agree with your proposition, I believe taking down barriers is the end goal, bringing kids together is the end goal, I am not entirely convinced that state education is the only solution and am open to solutions as opposed to a proposed ‘silver bullet’ for the reasons mentioned here and elsewhere. Unfortunately, as I’ve noted, if you have a major part of the polity unwilling or unable to respect or recognise the cultural significance of a significant part of the population you should expect me to be (rightly) cautious as to what the really want, integrated education or ‘subsumed’ education?

9. sammymcnally says:

FC,

re. “So in answer to your question, no, I would not necessarily agree with your proposition, I believe taking down barriers is the end goal, bringing kids together is the end goal”

I think state education is the best answer on both sides of the border – and indeed in Britian – otherwise the ‘best’ kids get creamed off to the ‘other’ sector. I appreciate there are difficulties with trying to implement a one sector fits all at the moment – especially in a ‘divided’ NI – but that is an aspiration – just as a UI is – even if the latter will be isgnificantly harder to achieve.

• I think you’ve nailed the main issue here on the head Sammy, it’s our difficulty in the North of trying to apply a one size fits all solution, the silver bullet I noted above. In an ideal world, I would be right behind you on this one and the State education sector would be my preferred choice and it would be a sector that would allow such freedom as for me to send my kid to be schooled in Irish, but it’s that point you noted above which makes me diverge from your course ever so slightly, the difficulties in the North in trying to implement this solution what with our panoply of organisations, sectors and end goals.

I think if we focus on the end result first as opposed to the means then you might much better head way, focus on the result as opposed to the process (I got that one from Rumsfeld and Dubya out of Woodward’s ‘Plan of Attack’ of all places! :))